CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, September 4, 2008

How have I lost my weight?

So, I never thought to do this but since someone asked I thought it might be helpful to let you know how I have lost my weight. I went from being a very inactive and lazy person to the new me who feels guilty if I miss one day at the gyms. Here is how my workouts go:

I do 5 days a week in the gym, 60 minutes of cardio each day. I started with 30 minutes and just added from there until I got to 60 minutes. When I first started out I had a trainer who did my strength training2 days a week with me also. Now, I don't have the money for that so I try to get 2-3 strength training days in on my own....it's not enough to just do cardio!!!

Here is how my eating changed:

Well first of all, I realized that this new way of eating has be a life style change and not a temporary diet. So, I embraced the food list my trainer gave me and have tranformed the way I think about foot ever since. Here is a grocery list of foods you should be buying and eating...if it's not on this list you shouldn't start out with it. You can add some stuff in as you go:


Proteins
· Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast
· Boneless, Skinless Turkey Breast
· Tuna (fresh or water packed)
· Fish (salmon, seabass, halibut)
· Shrimp
· Extra Lean Ground Beef or Ground Round (92-97% lean)
· Protein Powder
· Egg Whites or Eggs
· Beef Tenderloin (a.k.a. Filet, Filet Mignon)
· Lean Ground turkey, Turkey Breast Slices or Cutlets (fresh meat, not deli cuts)

Complex Carbs
· Oatmeal (Old Fashioned or Quick Oats) – NOT pre-packaged oatmeal
· Sweet Potatoes (Yams)
· Beans (pinto, black, kidney, chick peas)
· Oat Bran Cereal
· Farina (Cream of Wheat)
· Low Sugar Multigrain Hot Cereals
· Pasta (whole wheat/spinach)
· Brown Rice
· Rice (white, jasmine, basmati, Arborio, wild)
· Potatoes (red, baking, new)

Fibrous Carbs
· Green Leafy Lettuce (Green Leaf, Red, Leaf, Romaine)
· Broccoli
· Asparagus
· String Beans
· Fresh Spinach
· Bell Peppers
· Brussels Sprouts
· Cauliflower
· Celery

Other Produce & Fruits
· Cucumber
· Green or Red Pepper
· Onions
· Garlic
· Tomatoes
· Zucchini
· Fruit (if acceptable on diet): bananas (NO brown spots), apples, grapefruit, peaches, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries
· Lemons or Limes

Healthy “GOOD” Fats
· Natural Style Peanut Butter – NO Hydrogentated Oils
· Olive Oil or Safflower Oil
· Nuts (peanuts, almonds) – DRY ROASTED or RAW Only
· Flaxseeds (sprinkle on food) or Flaxseed Oil
· Sunflower Seeds

Dairy & Eggs
· Low-fat cottage cheese
· Low or Non-Fat Milk
· Eggs or Egg Beaters

Beverages
· Bottled Water – AT LEAST 100 OUNCES PER DAY
· Crystal Light

Condiments & Misc.
· Fat Free Mayonnaise
· Reduced Sodium Soy Sauce
· Reduced Sodium Teriyaki Sauce
· Balsamic Vinegar
· Salsa (Newman’s Own – Pineapple or Mangp is the best!!)
· Chili Powder
· Mrs. Dash
· Steak Sauce
· Sugar Free Maple Syrup
· Chili Paste
· Mustard
· Extracts (vanilla, almond, etc.)
· Low Sodium beef or chicken broth
· Plain or reduced sodium tomatoes sauce, puree, paste
· Cinnamon


Here is an average day in the life:

breakfast- 3 egg whites with a whole wheat english muffin and i can't believe it's not butter
snack- strawberries, blueberries and a danon yogurt
lunch- salad with spinach, chicken, chick peas, carrots, sunflower seeds, tomatoes, cucumbers, balsamic vinegar and olive oil
snack- apple with 1/4 cup dry roasted peanuts
dinner- 6 oz protein with veggies


Alright, I totally can't take credit for any of this info. I got it from my trainer and am only sharing because I think you all need to know a plan that will work. Trust me....I was the worst of the worst of the worst when it came to eating and EVEN I can eat like this!


Comment if you have questions....I truly hope this helps someone!!

Phat Teacher

5 comments:

Carolyn said...

my diet consists of basically the same stuff!
But I have realized that you need to accept this as a lifestyle change. I refuse to diet - if someone is having a birthday and I'm offered cake, I eat it - then count it. I've accepted that I won't lose every week, but I want to live and be healthy, so normally it all works out for me food-wise. I still feel guilt though, which is one thing I"m trying to dismiss. My ma-in-law was down last week and couldn't believe all the 'crap' I was eating, but I still lost that week! :D It's like Im outsmarting my body!

Girl of True Heart said...

Thank you. I am doing all that EXCEPT the carbs. I'm just veggies and protein. I was loving the exercise but fell off the routine when I hurt my back a few weeks ago and I am struggling to get back to it. I went thru some major blues because I couldn't go to the gym, yet now that I can, I can't seem to make myself go. Gotta fix that.

butterfly said...

Well, it seems Carolyn wrote my post for me :P Gotta love her!

As she said, my diet has everything you listed in it as a basic guide. I'm not on a diet, contrary to the belief of others. This is a complete lifestyle change.

I won't deprive myself of something if I really want it, but I'll always think to myself " Will I be happy with myself tomorrow if I eat this today?". Kinda curbs the appetite sometimes.

You're doing fantastic!

Lyn said...

Very nice summary! I always enjoy it when people post their eating habits, because it shows people that they can lose weight, too, just by eating healthy foods and not by some radical craziness.

carla said...

I KNOW it will.

great breakdown (and FYI the way I did it as well)

KUDOS to you and your motivation/dedication.

MizFit