CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, February 25, 2008

Who is the Phat Teacher?

I was so excited today to sit down and type up an official blog. My entry from last night was fluff; it’s time to give my adoring public some substance. So, I guess I will just throw caution to the wind and do this thang!
I am a 24 year old high school english teacher living in sunny Florida. I moved here about 2 year ago from Ohio. I was graduating college and I needed to find a job. Teaching in Ohio is not an easy task if you don't have a cert, so my boyfriend (at the time) and I decided a move would be "cool." He had friends in Florida, I had money, so we packed up my 86 Buick and drove the 16 hour journey to a new life. Looooooong story short- we broke up and he had to move back to Ohio since he was a 26 year old parasite and couldn't fend for himself. (Not angry, I swear!) So I was "stuck" in Fla, alone, with nothing but an amazing job to call my own. I never thought about moving back to Ohio; I loved my job too much. Looking back, that was one of the best decisions I ever made. So, enough about me, personally. How about my F.A.T.?

Well, I was thinking about my life today as my students were working on punctuation. I was trying to figure out what punctuated my current weight- was there one particular moment things went south?
I realized that I have always been a bigger woman. Even at my skinniest, when I lost 40 lbs before high school, I was still a size 14. I don’t ever expect to be much smaller than that; my build wont allow it. What troubles me is how far I have let myself go over the years. Why didn’t I stop myself when I gained 10lbs? 20lbs? How did I get to be 100 lbs heavier in ten years? I have to be honest with myself and admit that most of my gain happened in the past 2 years. During this time- and I don’t know how- I completely lost track of my weight. I didn’t get on a scale, I continued to buy bigger clothes, and I ate whatever I was hungry for. This time in my life was toward the end of college when I was working full time and going to school full time and in a horrible relationship with someone who lacked self worth or any inkling of motivation. Well, I guess I can understand my aversion to a scale. It’s funny but I don’t remember weighing between 190 and 290- its’ like I can’t envision a scale with those numbers on it, probably because I didn’t see on during the time.
So, there was no one moment when my life turned for the worst. Junior and Senior years of high school were rough, and I was always busy with a club or activity. Senior year I quit sports to persue acting more, and that lack of activity in the fall could have jolted my system back a little. Adding the fact that no one excersises in college unless it means walking to class or the pizza parlor. Then post college, I was poor and could only afford Romen and bread- not a good combination for a hefty lady like myself. I guess my down – hill battle doesn’t seem so uncanny when I look at it in perspective like this. It is NO wonder I am 150lbs over weight (100 lbs from goal): I wasn't taking care of myself in in ANY way. Things are about to drastically change.

I decided in November of 2007 that I needed to make a big change in order to get the things I want in life. I did way too much research and put in countless hours trying to find the perfect gym and the perfect eating habits. I ended up signing up with the perfect gym (thank God!) The day before Valentines Day. I have a personal trainers who is willing and able to kick my ass every step of the way. I will be working on strength training with her 2 days a week, but cardio is all me. Right now I am highly motivated; but I am certain there will be road blocks along the way. I have to keep reminded myself that there are not going to be any instant results. I didn't gain it all in one night- I won't lose it that way. So, I am hopeful that this blog will help me along my weight-loss journey. I can use all the encouragement in the world right now! I hope this blog will be a perfect inlet for that!

More soon, very soon,
Phat Teacher

0 comments: